Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Small Talk

Have you ever noticed how when the seasons are changing, the topic of weather becomes more than just small talk? I have. As spring approaches I don't think a day goes buy when the topic weather is not mentioned, often by people who have better things to talk about. For example, a guy comes up to me today while I am at work and says out of the blue, "So it's really storming out there."
I say, "What, like snow?"
He says, "No, more like rain and snow, sleet is more like it."
I say, "Yeah, it's supposed to do that all week."
Then he goes back to work and so do I.
Later on he pipes up again. "So, it actually feels nice out there."
I'm still trying to figure out where that one came from. I didn't even have time to respond.
I even find that it comes up in conversations with my fiancee. We are having a conversation and all of a sudden we are talking about the weather. And I'm not talking about a quick mention of it, sometimes we find ourselves on the topic for ten or fifteen minutes. She commented on this once. It was quite eyeopening, more than a little amusing, and a tad sad.

My prediction is that this trend will not stop, especially in this day and age when the weather is doing some really crazy things. I don't know who labeled the topic of weather as "small talk" but it is quickly breaking out if its appointed place and becoming "big talk".

P.S.

In case you haven't noticed, I added some more to the "Points of Interest" section the other day. If you have an idea for the "Points of Interest" section just let me know. Also let me know what you think of the stuff that is already there.

1 comment:

discoinathens said...

Yoooo Biffster!
It's Elvis.
I think it's funny that you point out the weather like that because it's SO TRUE! I bring it up with everyone.... and it's a great way to break the ice, or lighten the mood, because it's something everyone is interested in. Even with my dad on the phone, it's bonding time! Some how...
Good thoughts lad!

So anyway... how's the weather?